Friday, September 3, 2010

Gourdough's Big Fat Doughnuts

You all know, I assume, that I do not bake/cook/spend any time in the kitchen. Thus, my posts will be about wildly unhealthy stuff I eat around town.

So for Laura's birthday, instead of making her a cake, Hunter and I took her to a food trailer in South Austin called Gourdough's (Gourmet Doughnuts, get it? So clever). It is basically Austin's answer to Portland's Voodoo Donuts; the difference is that each donut is made fresh, and they're huge. We were a little bit overzealous and ordered eight massive donuts between the three of us. The people working there thought we were insane, but it was one of the best decisions we've ever made. Here's the rundown:

Sara's Joy:
This one is coconut flavored filling with fudge icing and fresh coconut on top. I'm not usually a big coconut fan, though I'm coming around, but this was awesome.

Cherry Bombs:
These little bites of heaven are glazed cherry-topped donut holes with cinnamon, sugar, and cake mix topping. It's essentially crazy good cherry pie.

Baby Rattler:
This dude is a normal donut with fudge icing, topped with fudge Oreo crumbles and a three foot long gummy rattlesnake.

Blackout:
One of my choices!! It's a brownie batter donut covered in fudge icing with chocolate chips and brownie bites on top. Ridiculous.

The Puddin' and Granny's Pie:

I'll admit I ate neither of these b/c they both have bananas (my archenemy). The puddin' one is the first photo. It's cream filled with cream cheese icing, bananas, and vanilla wafers. Granny's pie has caramel, pecans, bananas, and graham crackers. Hunter and Laura both say that Granny's pie is tops.

Mama's Cake:
This was another of my choices and my second favorite of the group. It's yellow cake batter filling with chocolate fudge icing. Mmmm.

Mother Clucker:
One of the best things ever to have been eaten by humankind. This is essentially why I went here in the first place. It's a donut with fried chicken and honey butter, not too dissimilar from chicken and waffles. It's well worth visiting Austin for, if any of you want to come see me.

These photos from my phone don't nearly do the donuts justice, but it'll have to do. We gorged ourselves and still have 80 percent leftover for tomorrow, thank god.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh they look delicious! That will have to be a stop when I come home over Christmas! I know you didn't order it, but I really want to try the chocolate raspberry one...Yum yum. I think these look/sound more tasty than Voodoo--however, they all look really messy and as though you would need a fork and knife to eat them. Kind of defeats the purpose of a donut that you can just grab and go. Still....I'm jealous and will be looking forward to this 'till December :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah they're incredibly messy, but I don't think the point of these is to grab and go. They're basically fancy desserts, because you wouldn't even really go out and get a dozen of them for breakfast, you know? But they were super delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, we spent nearly 40 bucks on 8 donuts, so they're kind of stupidly expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mama's cake and mother clucker miiiight warrant a not-to-distant-future trip to austin for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you want to check out what is virtually the same post, but with some fancier pictures from Laura's super fancy camera, then I'll direct you to my new blog endeavor: http://eattheshitouttathat.blogspot.com/
    This little blog inspired Hunter and I to make our own. We've been talking for years about how we want to have our own food television show, called I'd Eat the Shit Outta That, where we'd go around places and find stuff we'd eat the shit out of. Anyways, check it out if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! Seems like you caught blog fever :) Good idea though--Andrew and I were talking about how it would be a good idea to do restaurant reviews like that--partly b/c you can get good ideas of things to make at home and partly so we could remember which places had what good food. Do you still have voodoo pics on your phone? Someone should post those to compliment these little nuggets of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and...the other blog looks hilarious! My jaw literally dropped at the paula deen clip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry for posting a gizillion comments in a row, but Alli--you should add Sarah's new blog to the blog roll. I don't know how to do it.

    ReplyDelete