Saturday, October 9, 2010

Celebration Cookie Dough Balls!

Hey wonderful family,

What a week! I have unfortunately gotten super busy at school all of a sudden and have been preparing for midterms, projects, etc. that will go until the end of the semester. I'm sure those of you still in school share my pain. My practicum site has also begun to get really busy and I have been super stressed with pretty tough clients and families and with trying to still figure out the system of this new clinic. One day last week I had one of those, "I have no idea what I'm doing and I can't believe I'm spending so much time and money to do this with my life" days--and I came home and had a little meltdown. Luckily, Andrew was there to help put me back together. I was feeling much better after some wallowing, bad tv (America's Next Top Model, to be specific), sleep, and pampering by my man. Oh, and getting this also helped quite a bit:


We just went out and got the frame today (we got one exactly like it for my Bachelors degree so they could be hung next to each other). I've been able to put the letters after my name for about 1 1/2 months, but this really made it official. Considering I still have 3 years left, I've got to really soak in these little moments as much as I can. Here it is a little closer (this is really for Dad's sake, as he wanted me to send him close-up pics of it).


Anyway, partially in celebration of my degree and partially to help my slightly still stressed-out self, I decided I would make these fantastic looking cookie dough balls I had been eyeing over on Joy the Baker's blog. I absolutely love cookie dough and would actually rather eat the dough as opposed to the real, baked cookie. So, these are a safer version (no eggs!), but frozen and dipped in chocolatey goodness. Because there are no eggs, you can use yogurt, applesauce, or peanut butter as the binder. I thought applesauce would be weird and peanut butter is my arch nemesis, so yogurt it was! Although she suggests using Greek yogurt, I just used regular old vanilla yogurt that we already had in our fridge. And it turned out great. Like, warm my heart and make me forget about all my worries great. Here's the recipe:

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls
recipe found on www.joythebaker.com
makes 9 large balls

• 1 stick (1/2 cup or 4 ounces) unsalted butter at room temperature
• 1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (i know we're not baking them, it's for flavor)
• 3/4 teaspoons salt
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 1/3 cup granulated sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/3 cup Greek yogurt or applesauce or peanut butter
• 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
• 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
• 1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips, melted for dipping

In the bowl of a stand mixer fit with a paddle attachment (or with a large bowl and a wooden spoon) cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about three minutes in the machine. Beat in yogurt or applesauce or peanut butter along with the vanilla extract and stir to combine.

Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add all at once to the butter and sugar mixture and stir until incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts.

Scoop large spoonfuls or ice cream scoops onto a waxed paper lined cookie sheet. Spear each dough ball with a cute plastic fork or a popsicle stick. Place in the freezer overnight or until frozen, at least three hours.

When ready to dip the balls, melt chocolate chips in a small saucepan over a low flame or in the microwave. Remove balls from the freezer and dip into warm chocolate. Return to the lined cookie sheet and return to the freezer to harden. Serve cold from the freezer.





Okay, well mine aren't really "ball" shaped--but I don't have one of those fancy pants ice cream scoopers that releases perfectly shaped balls, so they came out sort of clumpy. It may not be as pleasing to the eye, but I think they are perfectly pleasing to the stomach! And, they are very quick and easy to make, with the added benefit of no baking!! Hope all of you had a good week! Miss and love you lots :)

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the diploma! That means I can officially come to you for all my therapy needs, right? Those cookie dough balls really do look delicious. On the one hand, I wish I had the inclination to actually make them instead of just drooling over your pictures, but on the other hand, it's probably pretty good I don't so I don't blow up like a balloon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you could make them to share....It only makes like 9--which could go pretty quickly if you had other people joining in on the yummy goodness!

    ReplyDelete