Monday, April 25, 2011

Rainbow Jar Cake (or goo)

Because I didn't go home for Easter weekend, my friends who were also staying in Denton and I got together to dye Easter eggs and bake. I've heard of baking things in jars, and wanted to try it, but never actually considered it until my friend Paige showed up at my door with a huge box of jars and showed me this website. Apparently she and our other friend Ashley had decided that's what we were making.

The recipe on the website calls for white cake, but we used funfetti, because it's so much better. Other than that, though, we pretty much just followed directions.
This is how it was supposed to look.

Just batter. Perfect lines thanks to Paige.

Fresh out of the oven

The colors rose through the cake. So cool!

After we decorated them!

View down the jar.

We only hit one problem, but it was a big one. Only the top half of the cake baked in the 35 minutes it was in the oven. The rest was legit goo. We ended up all stopping and saving it for when we could re-bake it. 

I tried to re-bake it the next day, and put it in the oven for another 25 minutes, BUT IT WAS STILL GOO. I just ate it. It was still good.

My rainbow goo and me.

If you want to try it, I have no idea what I would suggest to avoid burning the top while trying to solidify the molton goo at the bottom. If you figure it out, let me know. 
Here's the recipe:


















6 comments:

  1. For my birthday, I think you should make me a variation of this cake (http://whisk-kid.blogspot.com/2009/08/say-it-with-cake.html), but using a recipe for red velvet cake and switching out the food colorings. Am I right? Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird that it didn't bake all the way through. I bet it was still good--I love batter almost more than I love cake. Were there any comments on the recipe's website where people were having similar problems? It can't have just been you guys that ended up with goo.

    And Sarah--I've seen that cake before on tv I think. It looks so good, but really difficult to make. I think using red velvet would be even more difficult to get any of the different colors--if you made it from scratch, you'd be dyeing chocolate which would be hard to get the colors to show through. If you used a cake mix, it would be even more difficult to turn the red a different color. I even tried to make purple velvet whoopie pies this weekend for easter (using red velvet cake mix)--and I thought that if I added blue food coloring to the red mix that it would turn purple. I was wrong, it turned brown. They were still tasty--I'll post them later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone figured it out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kakedesign/3367014070/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bec - Yeah, apparently a lot of people had the same problem. She said she cooks at a high altitude, but she doesn't know how to convert it to normal or something.

    Sarah - You want the colors too? I thought you just wanted a really layered red velvet cake...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course I want the colors.

    ReplyDelete